Thursday, October 23, 2008

The question of the day..

How do you get your kids to take medication?????



At times it's as easy as can be. But when he's really feeling sick it's the hardest thing ever.

Do I....

1. Lie to him and tell him it's good. When in fact he knows it's not and I do too. (because I tried it)

2. Bribe him with something. (the only bad thing is, he doesn't care about anything because he feels so crappy)

3. Force it down and hope he doesn't spit it out or hate medication forever. (That's what I did today it didn't work so well)

4. Tell him "this will help you feel better, I promise" and hope that it does.

5. Mix it with something? (does it still work the same?) This is where my brother the pharmacist will come in handy.


I think I need your help. ( : Any good suggestions?? I'm willing to try them all. Sometimes it just needs to be on his time, but I would sure like to get it down him sooner.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Sorry, Keri, I know this particular of being a mom stinks!
Having been there and done that many times, I'll tell you what works best for me.

First, I try all the nice things..."This will make you feel better", etc. I always tell them they can have a special treat when it's done to take the taste away. Then, if they are still kicking and screaming, I might have to force it. This is much easier with two parents! One thing I do to help them from spitting it out is to kind of squeeze their cheeks together. It will usually go down that way and they don't have the muscle control to spit it out. It sounds harsh, but sometimes it's the only way.

I've tried adding it to food or juice before and have found that difficult because 1) it sometimes changes the taste of the food so they won't eat it, and 2) because if they don't eat the whole thing, it's so hard to figure out the dosage - how much they actually took in.

On another subject, I hear a certain mission call will be opened tonight which will affect you!

Hope Deacon and mommy feel better soon. Having a sick kid stinks!

Ginnie said...

I just plug their nose until they're forced to open up there mouth then just shove it way back (not too far back) and then squeeze the sucker empty. Then just hold their mouth shut until they swallow. Sound like a violent procedure, but it's not too bad. ;)

Hiatts said...

I do the whole nice thing which usually doesn't work, so we then resort to Brad holding their head very still and plugging their nose while I squeeze the cheeks together and squeese the med in. It sounds mean and they hate me for about 3 sec, but man they sure are happier once they get it in them. the whole plugging the nose thing makes them swallow it. oh and I make sure I have a glass of water or milk for them to drink right after. Good luck, hope he gets feeling better soon.

Amanda B. said...

Keri-
Sorry Deacon is sick! I second the suggestion of having someone help you pin him down and squeeze his cheeks- but I know that is not always an option if you are home alone during the day. When I was having a similar problem with Leah my doctor told me to roll her up tightly in a blanket with her arms down at her side but her head and neck exposed. This made it impossible for her to swat the medicine away while I was trying to get it in her mouth- and it made it easier for me to restrain her all by myself. I hated doing it so I only tried it when I was desperate- but it does help get the job done. Good luck!

Kylee Clark said...

you dont know me but i have a little boy that is almost 2, when i have to do the med thing with him. he has a toy puppy that he loves and i tell him that the puppy has some then him so i put it up to the puppys mouth and then shoot half into the baby's mouth then back to the puppy and back to the baby always works for me! no more sick baby or puppy lol
GOOD LUCK!